Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Road to Rome: Volubilis and Fez, Morocco

Today was amazing, but I am so very tired, so forgive me if this post is just a lot of photos and a little explanation.

Our first big “excursion” left this morning at 8 o’clock for Volubilis. Volubilis is a large excavation site of ruins from the Roman presence in northern Africa. Only one third of the Roman city has been officially uncovered, but what an impressive fraction it is. Pieces of the ancient homes and several major buildings remain even after hundreds of years and the damage of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. My favorite part of the ruins, and conveniently the most intact portion, was the mosaic floors. They were of course beautiful in their artistic right, but also full of stories. There were depictions of various gods and goddesses, and a large mosaic of Hercules and his twelve labors that I geeked out over. There was also an intact portion of a large basilica that I spent some time exploring, putting my fingers on the cool stone walls. I love the feeling of humility and reverence that floods over me when I reach out and touch antiquity. It was a really great day to be a history nerd.




Hercules' 12 Labors
Fluffy! (Actually, Cerberus...)
Me, being weird and touching history
The second portion of our day was spend in Fez. I got to have a really great lunch with the ELAP coordinators and Prof. Jennet again. We ate at Café Clock, which is a pretty famous little place in Morocco. I had an almond milkshake and falafel with hummus, which were obviously both amazing. I’m telling you, I’ve discovered the secret to eating at all the best restaurants everywhere we go – follow the people who live there. Daniel, Iman and Mouhsine haven’t failed me yet. After lunch we had a walking tour of the Fez Medina, which was actually more of a running tour. Our guide didn’t spend a lot of time explaining things, but we did get to see some fascinating culture and local craft. We had an excellent view of the leather tannery and then visited the ceramic mill for a full tour. The ceramic mill was my favorite part – I was blown away by the skill I saw watching steady hands paint intricate designs and weathered palms hammer out mosaic pieces. Seeing Moroccan goods in the process of being crafted reminded me that “things” can be art, and that a lot of time and effort goes in to something made the right way. There really is a lot of value in this traditional, authentic kind of production.


Tannery of Fez
Some of the Ceramic Wares
It really was an exhausting Sunday. We got home and I sautéed some eggplant for everyone for dinner then curled up in my “spot” on the couch to vegetate. Tomorrow I’m back to work, so now – it’s bedtime.


Bonne nuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment