Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Beware: The Streets of Meknes

Hello again! Day 5 of the adventure is officially complete.

Today it was actually chilly in Meknes. The weather has been very temperate so far, and it’s made everything that much more beautiful. All the flowers are warm just to the point of smelling so fresh and the sky is bright with full, fluffy clouds. The people are taking advantage of the cool temperatures and spending time outside socializing. It’s really a lovely season to be in Morocco.

Not a lot of exciting things happened before I went to my placement today. We did have a fabulous lunch that was definitely my favorite so far. Our housekeeper, Mona, made a dish with spiced chicken, peppers, and beans in a rich sauce. I ate too much, but it was worth it. After, a few housemates and I went down the road to the Florence Café and had strawberry orange juice smoothies. I cannot do this juice justice in words. It will absolutely be something I miss back in the states.

My placement was less confusing in some ways that it was yesterday, but in other ways it was maybe a little more. The center was very slow during the time I was scheduled to work, so I mostly spent the afternoon sitting and conversing with the director, Nadia, and two other girls who work at the association. Well, trying to converse. As much as I am trying to force vocab into my brain, I still cannot understand or keep up with actual conversation, in French or Arabic. Luckily, there is a Moroccan girl named Soukaina interning at the association that speaks what she calls “very poor English.” If her English is “very poor,” I wish my French was. She was so helpful in translating things for me, but there was a point where all I could really do was listen. But, listening is good.

The three of them also worked with me to learn a few important phrases and discuss more about projects I could do at the center. Some of the options were teaching English or helping the women to practice self-defense skills. I really want to be able to do as much good as possible there, but I feel limited right now by my language skills. And, I don’t really feel like I have great ideas for how to help the women. I will just have to keep working hard to learn what I can and be creative and flexible.

The center:


On the way back to the apartment, I learned a lot about Moroccan culture by way of a cab ride. The first time I’ve ever been in a taxi was yesterday, so this is all very new for me, but today was… interesting. The director offered to take a taxi with me to the apartment and Soukaina came with us. The three of us walked toward a taxi, but two others got to it first, so I backed away assuming we would have to wait for another. Nope. Nadia got in the front seat, Soukaina followed the two strangers into the back seat, and I went to get in with her and Nadia said “No, here.” I was very confused and it must have been obvious because she scooted way over in the front seat and pointed. So, I squished in next to her. (Mind you, this is a tiny car and not a bench seat.) Then, another man got in the back seat. So we drove off with seven people in this tiny car, and the people started paying the driver as we went. He was counting change and money was going back and forth all over the place. Plus, I don’t remember if I have mentioned before, but driving in Morocco is basically a live action mash-up of Mario Kart and Frogger. There are no street lights or turn signals or lanes or rules. You just drive wherever and turn whenever and if you’re a pedestrian, you just walk out in front of cars and hope for the best. No, really, you just go. The cars will stop for you (most of the time). Buses, however, do not stop. Tips for pedestrian survival. I did, obviously, make it back to the apartment alive and a I suppose a bit more cultured.

I also visited the super-marchĂ© for the first time today. A couple of my roommates and I walked to the large “mall” type complex that has a supermarket on the lower level. It was really interesting to see all the different brands and the way foods are packaged (or not packaged). There was also a ton of fruit that was probably less fresh that at the local vendors, but there was a much wider selection. I bought a mango and some dates, which I immediately started eating, and they were so awesome. I feel like I write about food a lot, but it’s just so nice to eat food that isn’t slowly killing my body. After a meal in America we always feel groggy and yucky, but here the food makes me feel energized and good. I guess it just really teaches me a lot about how different American food really is.

More tomorrow! Salaam alaykum!

No comments:

Post a Comment