Monday, May 26, 2014

Homesickness and Mangoes

Not a whole lot happened today, so this will be impressively short, but you can all use the extra time you would have been reading to have a quick nap or maybe drink some tea. You’re welcome.

Today I got homesick. It was my first intense wave of it since the airport, and I really am not sure what brought it on. Regardless, it wasn’t the most fun morning of the trip by any means. It weighs on me a lot to not be at camp and be a part of the beautiful things that I know are happening there. And, on a different level, it’s really hard to not be sharing this adventure with the person I love. But, as much as it really sucks to miss home and family and camp, it helps remind me how much I really do love and appreciate those things. It means everything to know that I have a place where I belong and people who love me waiting on the other side of the world. This paragraph became a Hallmark card really fast, so I’ll just leave it at that.

At IPDF today did some receptionist-type duties and ushered women to and from the waiting room when they came to speak to the lawyer. It was an awesome chance to practice my Darija, and the lawyer even said she was impressed by my pronunciation (I think she’s very easily impressed…). I also helped to wash and set up some new chairs the center purchased for their women’s classes. I was grateful for the work because it gave me a chance to be outside on the sun-soaked tiles of the courtyard, surrounded by roses and the laughter of children from the school playground over the fence. Even the cool water from the bucket that spilled on my toes made me smile. I always love those moments when I get so lost in time and space, it doesn’t even matter what I’m doing or what comes next.

The highlight of my evening was devouring the absolute best tasting mango I have ever encountered. I picked it up at the fresh market as an “everything will be okay” cure for my homesickness. And it kind of worked, because if Morocco keeps producing mangoes like this one, I might never want to come home. You may now gaze upon its glory:



That’s really about all that happened today. Tomorrow I’ll be sure to look out for an adventure to spice things up a bit.


Bye for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment