Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hotel Prince de Paris: Casablanca, Morocco

Today was a WHIRLWIND. If I ever say I am tired again, I will look back on this moment and say “Nope, okay, nevermind. I feel great.” I’m not even sure where to start telling the story. Today seems like it has been about a full century long.

The great news is, I’m here! I made it to Casablanca without any major problems. There were a few pulse-raising situations with late takeoff and confusing airport terminals, but I’m here and that was the only goal I hoped to achieve. (justgettherejustgetthere) As a bonus, I learned a few things during my extensive trip to reach Morocco. First, French is a gorgeous language that I truly wish I had taken the time to learn – but did not, and that is becoming apparent. Turns out there’s only so far “s’il vous plait” will get you. Second, airplane food in France is considerably better than airplane food in the states. Surprise, surprise. Third, this world is full of some truly kind people.

As much as I tried to be the calm, cool, collected travel-savvy explorer I wish I was, today I was just a puddle of nerves. I was nervous about all the natural things – will this plane land on time, will my luggage get sent to Tanzania, will I end up in Tanzania – and several really ridiculous things that only I would worry about – is this Moroccan child sitting next to me on the plane offended because all I can do is nod and smile at his stories, how many times can I go back to Starbucks during this layover before it becomes creepy, should I have gone to Tanzania instead? But my warranted and obnoxious fears were subsided by very sweet people along the way who were able to help me, sometimes with a loaned cell phone or precious directions in English, or just with a very kind smile and insisting I have a cup of tea (Merci, Air France flight attendant – you were right, it did help.).

So after a long day and a half of flights, I finally arrived in Casablanca, Morocco. The city is so bustling and eclectic, almost like New York City with more palm trees. It is truly beautiful and alive. That was my first impression of Morocco and its people, that they are full of vigor and life. I ventured out with a few other students to see the city, and we were stopped by several locals who wanted to speak with us in English and share their stories. “Welcome to Morocco!” was their harmonious chant. I felt welcomed, but so overwhelmed.

It hit me hard on the streets of Casablanca that this really is a big adventure. It scared me a little to realize how far I really am from my home and family, and how little I know about the world or how to make my way through it. I felt very small as I struggled to communicate and navigate. I didn’t expect a lot of the emotions that overcame me, but after a little freakout and a shower to clear my head, it did become clear that the fear is a good thing. If I came to Morocco and nothing struck me as new or scary, I would leave myself pigeonholed with no room to grow. Stretching your comfort zone leaves you feeling a little, well, stretched out. Maybe a little unsure of yourself. Maybe more than a little. But discomfort and fear exist for a reason, so I’m proud of myself for embracing those emotions along with all the really exciting ones.  

Tonight we finished up with an orientation from our coordinators Daniel and Mohsin to prepare for our new lives in Meknes. Both of them, as well as our female coordinator Iman, are wonderful and energetic. They’re the kind of people whose presence alone makes you feel like you can conquer the world. I’m extremely excited to learn from their knowledge and leadership. Tomorrow we will tour the city, spend time at the beach front neighborhood Ain Diab, and then depart for the four-hour ride to Meknes to settle in to our temporary homes.

Until then, bslama.

No comments:

Post a Comment