Sunday, June 8, 2014

If You’re Going to Get Food Poisoning…: Asilah, Morocco

If you’re going to get food poisoning, you might as well do it on a weekend excursion instead of during the week when you have to go to work. And you might as well do it when you’re in a beautiful beach town like Asilah. And you might as well get it from some really tasty seafood.

But even then it sure is not fun.

I wasn’t able to update over the weekend, so I’m putting this excursion all in one post. But luckily I am able to cut Friday down pretty short and sweet due to the fact that all I really did was have a really delicious lunch that tried to kill me. We arrived in Asilah in the early afternoon, had a short tour of the Medina, and then lunch next to the ocean. As it turns out, even (really, really) fresh seafood can be bad! So the rest of my Friday was spent on the floor of my hotel bathroom face-to-face with the toilet bowl. But I lived to tell the tale and (eventually) eat shellfish another day.

Saturday I was very glad for the tranquil speed of this weekend’s excursion. It was very much a beach vacation, so I got to spend the day relaxing and enjoying my absolutely beautiful surroundings. The majority of our group left early in the morning for a beach farther away, but I wasn’t feeling quite up to it, so my morning and early afternoon were mine to spend in peace and solitude. I took a long walk beside the water, listened to some music on the sand, and took a nap in the courtyard of the hotel. It was a pretty perfect way to recuperate and get some time by myself to reflect. And, to take some pretty great photos.




In the evening I was feeling back up to normal speed, so I went with a group of friends to shop and explore the medina. We watched the sunset from a high lookout, and while we were taken completely by surprise. A few local Moroccan boys about our age stripped their shirts and shoes off and dove from the wall into the ocean. I can assure you that with the abundance and placement of rocks far below us, this was not a safe cliff dive for even the most adventurous of people. I was so certain that I had just watched someone die. My stomach still hurts just thinking about it. But, several minutes later they came back dripping wet, ready to jump again, and way braver than I ever will be.




Today we were able to drive the short distance north to Tangier where Morocco is separated from Spain only by the Strait of Gibraltar. So, I still haven’t been to Spain yet, but I’ve seen it from Africa! We got a chance to explore the city a bit as well, which is pretty well-defined as a modge-podge of Spanish, French, English, and Moroccan culture. You can literally see the different influences divided into different parts of the city. We ate fresh figs we bought from a market vendor and saw Gran Café de Paris (apparently they shot a scene in Borne Ultimatum here?). Then we headed back to Meknes and I took a long, hard nap on the four-hour bus ride home.
Spain - so close I could almost touch it!
This weekend definitely had its ups and one major down, but I’m so glad to have experienced Asilah and Tangier. Northern Morocco is full of culturally eclectic and stunning locations that I will rave about forever.

Back to work tomorrow!

Buenas noches! (Because, you know, Spain.)

P.S. Happy birthday to my amazing Nana! I can't wait to see you when I get home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment