Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hosting a Henna Party

What. A. DAY.
Today was so special and fun and definitely not the kind of day I needed to make leaving Morocco easier. This morning I went to Le Nid and got to take the toddlers outside to play. Their outdoor play area is on the roof of the hospital. There is basically just an awning and a fence up there with a bunch of ride on toys. I can’t say I ever thought I would be playing with babies on the roof, but it happened. And they were so happy to be outside. Their little faces lit up as soon as the wind met their cheeks. It was a beautiful morning.

Also at the nest this morning, I delivered the little surprise I have been working on. If you’ll recall, I experience my first “deal” a few days ago and acquired a bag full of maroon wool yarn. The purpose of the yarn was for me to use to crochet a security blanket for one of the baby boys. He’s a beautiful little angel who stole my heart the moment I first held him. I have continued to hold him and sing to him and fall madly in love with him for the last three weeks, so I just didn’t feel okay leaving forever without having some kind of connection to him. Mouhsine helped me make sure it was alright that I give him a special gift that would be his to keep. I got to put the blanket in his crib while he slept and he wrapped his tiny fist around the threads so tight. I’m not sure if my gift will ever mean anything for him, but it meant all the world to me.


This evening I got to test my skills as a hostess! I set up for our apartment to have a henna party. In Morocco, you hire a woman to come to your home to paint henna. You invite friends over and host a small party with music and food while everyone gets beautified. It's time to be social and it forces you to talk to each other because henna takes absolutely forever. I thought it would be a good way to spend our last full night together as roommates. I even cleaned the house and baked cookies, so I guess I did alright. We all had an awesome time and the henna came out stunning for everyone. And of course, our henna artist blew my mind. Her art is absolutely a gift.





Tonight was a great send off. Tomorrow will be spent saying goodbyes and trying to find a way to pack all my stuff in my suitcase, insha’Allah (God willing)… For now, I seriously need to sleep. Playing Martha Stewart takes it out of you.


Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment